Thursday, March 8, 2007

4 Words Every Blogger Ought To Know

Have you ever heard a joke about a young couple who came to a sea resort? They spent the whole vacation in the hotel room. At their last day boy came out to the balcony and exclaimed "Look! They've got a sea here!"

I feel myself like that boy now. It feels like I spent my whole life online, but I started discovering some great resources only now. (Lucky I am that today's not my last vacation day on the Internet!) So I'll be posting some of my discoveries here.

Please meet my today's pick - a great resource for those who are interested in contemporary language - no, it's not Wikipedia, I'm not that lame! - Word Spy is my hero today:
This Web site is devoted to lexpionage, the sleuthing of new words and phrases. These aren't "stunt words" or "sniglets," but new terms that have appeared multiple times in newspapers, magazines, books, Web sites, and other recorded sources.
Words are split into categories and of course first of all I checked Computers - Blogging category. Along with common terms like blog, podcasting, or wiki, there are 4 words that you should know if you are a blogger.

  1. celeblog n. A blog written by a celebrity; a blog devoted to a particular celebrity or to celebrity news and gossip. Also: celeb blog.

  2. splog n. 1. A fake blog containing links to sites affiliated with the blogger with the intent of boosting the search engine rankings and ad impressions for those sites. 2. Spam links added to the comments section of a blog. [Blend of spam and blog.]

  3. vlog (vlawg; VEE-lawg) n. A blog that contains mostly video content.

  4. flog n. A blog that appears to be written by an individual, but is actually maintained by a corporate marketing department or a public relations firm. —v. [Blend of fake and blog.]

No comments: